EXPERIENCE A TRADITIONAL HAWAIIAN OUTRIGGER CANOE TOUR
We invite you to relive a part of Hawaiian History and walk in the footsteps of the Ali‘i (Chief, Royalty) as you experience a traditional Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Tour!
Your journey departs beautiful Wailea Beach, in south Maui! Wailea in ancient Hawaii translates to ”Waters of Sacred Happiness”! Come join us for an unforgettable experience for the whole family!
Here are some of the wonderful aspects you shouldn’t miss out on as you paddle a canoe following the rhythm of the sea:
- Learn about the illegal occupation of Hawai‘i and the overthrow of the Hawaiian Monarchy in 1893.
- Participate in traditional Hawaiian Chants (called “Oli”) as you paddle our canoe (hoe wa’a, in Hawaiian) along the south coast of Maui.
- Take in the breathtaking views of Haleakala, West Maui Mountains, Lana‘i, Kaho‘olawe/Kanaloa, and Molokini!
- Paddle our canoe to Turtletown off Wailea Point and see the honu and honu‘ea (Hawaiian Green Sea & Hawksbill Turtles) that frequent this beautiful area!
- Swim with the turtles if you’d like or watch as they swim alongside the canoe!
- Learn about the Polynesian Voyagers as they sailed the Polynesian Triangle (New Zealand to Rapa Nui to Hawaii) using Celestial navigation/wayfinding.
In honoring the traditions and knowledge passed on by generations from our ancestors, we are inspired to share the wisdom and values that sustained the Hawaiian culture in the past…and into the future…!
OUTRIGGER CANOE TOURS INFORMATION
Swim alongside Hawksbill Turtles, watch Humpback Whales as they spy hop and snorkel around the coral sea garden.
Don’t miss the unique opportunity to learn about the Honu (turtles), Kohola (whales) and indigenous Hawaiian ocean life, as you paddle an outrigger canoe.
Our outrigger canoe tours are designed to help you relive part of a traditional Hawaii. Come join us on one of our fun and cultural tours.
HAWAIIAN OUTRIGGER CANOE CULTURAL AND TURTLE TOUR – How would you like to get very close to the turtles, as you learn about Hawaiian history and traditions? At Hawaiian Ocean Sports, we offer you the unique experience of paddling off Wailea Point and get acquainted with the honu and honu‘ea (Hawaiian Green Sea & Hawksbill Turtles).
HAWAIIAN OUTRIGGER CANOE WHALE WATCH TOUR – Humpback Whales are magnificent to observe while visiting Hawaii! Every year, from November to April, these beautiful mammals travel thousands of miles to our Hawaiian islands. This is where they mate and give birth and this magnificent show of nature can be seen off the coastline of Maui.
HAWAIIAN OUTRIGGER CANOE SNORKEL TOUR – Snorkeling is a fun activity for the whole family. And at Hawaiian Ocean Sports, we’re ready to enrich your experience by teaching you more about the islands, the fauna and the flora that surrounds us. You can get close to the famous coral reef, swim alongside indigenous Hawaiian fish and create wonderful memories for years to come.
HAWAIIAN OUTRIGGER EXPERIENCE AND SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
For an unforgettable Hawaiian outrigger experience, our guides are always prepared to guarantee your safety.
Whether you book a cultural and turtle canoe tour, reserve your seat on an outrigger canoe whale watch tour or prefer to go on a canoe snorkel tour in Hawaii, we’re here to make sure you have a wonderful time while you stay safe at all times.
We recommend you bring along a few items as well on your tour, to guarantee a smooth and memorable experience:
- Sunscreen – Take care of your skin by applying protection. The sun in Hawaii can affect you if you don’t take the necessary precautions.
- Swim Attire – If you plan on swimming with the turtles or snorkeling alongside colorful fish, appropriate swimming attire is a must.
- Sunglasses – Take care of your eyes and bring along a pair of sunglasses. You might need them if the sunlight is too bright.
- Towel – Don’t forget to bring along a towel in case you’d like to use one as soon as you get out of the water.
- Waterproof camera – We strongly recommend you bring along a waterproof camera. Alternatively, underwater equipment is an even better fit for one of our Hawaiian outrigger canoe tours.
- Waterproof bag for your belongings – Belongings carried inside a canoe can get wet. Protect your items by placing them in a waterproof bag before you embark on your adventure.